Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Winter Holiday Blues

I guess the winter blues have got me down. The past couple of days have been emotionally rough on me for reasons that I don't understand. I have nothing to be depressed or sad about, but yet for some reason I am. I have been crying over silly stuff, tired all the time, temperamental and pretty much angry at everything.

Bill and I had a long discussion yesterday about this and have reached the conclusion that it's a case of winter blues or depression. The culprit is probably due to poor diet intake (more sweets than I'm used to due to all the parties lately and lack of will power), lack of exercise (because I have been a real slacker lately), and a lot to do with not getting the serotonin I need from the sun (because we haven't seen the sun for many days) - or in other words some kind of chemical imbalance within myself.

Anyway, I was a real witch (with a B) yesterday. I yelled at my kids for no reason, pushed my wonderful sweet husband away by saying nasty things, refused to go on a Mother and Sisters outing with my family yesterday. All of which are not like me. So I really have a lot of apologizing to do and hope that each person I hurt will forgive me. I am so sorry to all of you for anything I did or said that hurt you.

Today I have really made an effort to make things better. The sun shining today has helped a lot. I got up early and went out to work, I am focusing on a much healthier diet, and I am going to fit some excercise into my schedule today.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of madness during the holiday's or winter? What do you do or have you done to help get yourself back in balance? I am really curious to see if I am just the only crazy one out there. I would appreciate any suggestions or tips to make sure this does not happen again.

4 comments:

The Emery's said...

I don't know Sherrie are you sure you're not pregnant? Hehehe... j.k. I think you're doing exactly what you need to to feel better. Get out even on the cloudy days and eat good. But for me the getting out part does it. If I exercise in the morning I'm a different person. But I do think we all go through something like this, especially after Christmas is over. January is the most depressing month for me. Anyway, I wish ya luck and take that pregnancy test just to be sure. :)

kim graham said...

I WAS THE SAME WAY OVER THE WEEKEND. I WAS SO ORNARY YOU WOULD HAVE THOUGHT I HAD BEEN EATING NAILS. I AM BETTER TODAY SO FAR-- SO MAYBE IT IS THE SUN FINALLY SHINING. THAT AND I DID FORCE MYSELF TO WALK ON THE TREADMILL LAST NIGHT. SO YOUR NOT THE ONLY CRAZY ONE THERE IS AT LEAST 2 OF US OUT THERE. LETS HOPE FOR MORE SUN AND LESS SNOW. THANKS FOR LETTING JESSE COME OVER. THAT HELPED RYAN TO BE OCCUPIED AND TO LEAVE ME ALONE FOR A LITTLE WHILE. MAYBE PART OF IT IS HAVING TEEN AND PRETEEN KIDS. I KNOW MINE IS ENOUGH TO MAKE ME CRAZY. GOOD LUCK.

Allison said...

Okay, so Michelle said what I was thinking but wouldn't say out loud ;)

It sounds to me like we both suffer from SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder). We need more sun! Prozac is my help throughout the whole year :) If it is just SAD then there are lots of helps out there. Check them out on the web. Also, remember that there are others of us out there going through the same crap you are . . . you are not alone!!! It sounds to me that we need to have a "girl's night out" again soon!!!

Kate said...

I too get the Christmas blues. I am so unsure about the new year and all of the changes that will be taking places. You definitely need to work in the exercise because I think that is what I am missing. Good luck and happy new year.