Thursday, October 29, 2009

Group Blog Thursday: Halloween Traditions


Often times I have such a hard time coming up with things to write about. So when other bloggy friends have day to day themes, I get excited to join. I enjoy participating in group blogs and I found a new one for Thursday. So here is my first post for Group Blog Thursday. If you would like to join in the fun just head on over to this blog for details.

This week's theme is Halloween Traditions.  Traditions we had when we were young and traditions we have now that we are older. 

To be honest I don't get into the whole Halloween thing anymore.  I haven't dressed up in a costume in years! The only thing I really enjoy is watching the scary movies.  I am always up for a good "boo-you" movie!  And we usually see many throughout the month of October. 

When I was young I loved to dress up and go trick or treating and carve pumpkins.  When my children were young we would get together with all their cousins one night before Halloween and carve really cool designs in the pumpkins.  On Halloween, we would take them around trick or treating. 



As my kids got older I put together a Halloween Party for my kids and their friends, rather than go trick or treating.  This was very fun!  They came dressed in costumes and we gave out awards for best costume, scariest costume etc.  I made my witches brew using dry ice for the drink and we had pizza made to look like a pumpkin and lots of treats and games etc.  They also got to watch a halloween movie of their choice. The 2 years I did this was the most fun Halloween memories I have.



In most recent years we participate in our Church (Ward) Trunk-N-Treat Party.  Usually there is a chili cook-off, awards given for best pumpkin carving,  the kids go around to the cars in the parking lot with trunks decorated for some trick or treating.   Once this is over we head home to watch a scary movie and give out candy to trick or treaters that stop by. 



What are your traditions?  You can comment here or join the group blog and create your own post. 

Happy Halloween Everyone!






6 comments:

midRae said...

I totally love the throwing up pumpkin. I do miss our Halloweens in St. George at Grandma house. But all the kiddies are to old now, even tailEnd says he's to old this year. Oh well, I guess it's turn off the porch light and go snuggle with my hubby and watch a movie.

Sherrie said...

Funny Dylan thinks he is too old. Shellise is still planning to trick or treat this year. I keep telling her she is too old but she doesn't believe me :)

Valerie said...

I love the pictures! Thanks for reminding me just how much I love Halloween and dressing up.

Unknown said...

I love that picture of the barfing pumpkin.

Alissa Grosso said...

Thanks for visiting, Sherrie. The drunken pumpkin picture is a riot.

Mindy said...

HI! Those are some very creative carvings!!!!
Nice to meet you! Thanks for stopping by my blog!
I will be back to visit again!
In Him -
Mindy