Tuesday, December 1, 2009

A Look at Thanksgiving

I picked up Shellise & Jessie at the airport on Wednesday morning.  I was so excited to see them!   Shellise had oral surgery on Monday (2 days prior), to remove all 4 wisdom teeth, so when she arrived her face was all swollen and she wasn't feeling all that great.  In fact, she didn't feel completely well all weekend, but luckily it didn't deter her too much from having a great time anyway. 



Shellise not feeling so well after oral surgery

On Wednesday, after they arrived we got them settled in at home and then took off to do some shopping at Walmart.  Afterwards, they spent the rest of the afternoon playing video games and watching movies, while I finished up on pre-Thanksgiving preparations.  Later that afternoon and after Bill woke up, we took them to our favorite rib place in Bozeman, Bar 3 BBQ, where on Wednesday's they have a full slab of ribs for half price.  A full slab fed all 4 of us and we still took home some leftovers.  The kids really seemed to enjoy the restaurant's atmosphere and the food. 



Shellise & Rocky Relaxing



Jessie & Daisy just Chillin'

This is the first time the kids had been to our home since we moved here, so it was fun showing them around our little town of Belgrade and also Bozeman, which is about 8 miles away from our home.

Thanksgiving morning while in between preparing dinner, we played scrabble and video games, and snacked on Ord'herves (spelling?)  Dinner was planned for 3:00.  Everything turned out great!  The turkey came out looking and smelling great as well as all the other food.  I was a little dissappointed in my homemade rolls though.... they tasted great but I think they raised too long and ended up being a little on the flat side.  But all the other food was really good.  Of course we had lots of leftovers, which is fine by all of us to have Turkey sandwiches to munch on all weekend.  I served dinner on fine china and served our drink in crystal goblets.  The table settings looked really nice.  The apple and mud pies were very yummy for desert! 



Thanksgiving Dinner.  No we did not dress up (probably should have).
And I have no idea why Shellise had on that hat during dinner.  Really Classy!
Chalk it up to that she wasn't feeling well and I didn't realize she had it on until afterwards.


Some of the yummy food on my plate

That evening consisted of more scrabble & more movies.  We rented Angels & Deamons (same author as Da Vinci Code) with Tom Hanks, which is a really good show, for those of you who were wondering.  I'd see it again. 

Friday plans were to take the kids on a scenic ride down towards West Yellowstone, Shopping and Go Karting.   The ride started out great and ended up being awesome when we came across Rocky Mountain Goats crossing the river and onto the road in front of our car.  I was able to get some photos but I will blog more about this later. 


Jessie with Gallatin River in background



Shellise holding her cup of hot chocolate.  Face swelling looking better.


Me, Shellise & Jessie



Bill with Gallatin River in background


I did not get up early and do any of the early Black Friday Shopping like I've done in years past.  We did venture out later in the day to WalMart and to one of our favorite Pawn & Thrift Shops, where the kids found some remarkable deals on some clothes and other fun things.  I picked up a purse for me that still had the brand new tags on it for next to nothing.  Love those deals!

Go Karting was a riot!  Bill came in 1st, Jessie 2nd, Shellise 3rd and I came in last.  No surprise there.  What was surprising and very sad for me is that Bill lapped me by 7 laps, he lapped Jessie by 3 laps. That gives you an idea of how pathetic I was.  Oh... and how very sore my hands, forearms and biceps were.  Steering those machines are very difficult and used muscles I must not use much... also pathetic!  It was so much fun though! 



Shellise preparing for Go Kart Racing!



Jessie practicing on video game



And the Winner Is.....


On Saturday we took the kids shopping at the mall and then to the movies.  We went and saw The Blind Side with Sandra Bullock.  IT IS THE BEST MOVIE!  I repeat, IT IS THE BEST MOVIE I have seen in a very long time.  Even better...It's a true story!  It's a great family movie and I would highly recommend you take your family and friends and go see it.  I think this is Sandra Bullock's best acting ever.  EXCELLENT MOVIE... I would give it 5 stars! 

After the movie we went home so Shellise could take another dose of pain meds, because by then she hadn't had any for several hours and she was in a lot of pain.  Once she started to feel better, we went and grabbed a pizza and came home for wrapping some christmas gifts, more games and movies, as well as getting the kids packed. 


Shellise preparing to wrap some Christmas Gifts. 



Shellise just loes wrapping gifts!



Jessie doing what he does best... Chillin'


Sunday morning arrived too soon.  At 9:30 a.m. we had to be out the door driving to Butte so the kids could catch the plane there.  They flew into Bozeman but flew out of Butte because the tickets were significantly cheaper to do that and since Butte is only an hour ride a way it was worth it.  We arrived with plenty of time to spare so we stopped by the Mall and walked around for a while before we had to get to the airport. 

It sure was sad and hard for me to let them go.  We had a fabulous 4 days together.  Having them with us sure made Thanksgiving extra special!  I was extra blessed this year! 



My sad face cuz the time went by too fast
Dorky, I know!


Now the countdown to Christmas begins.  Depending on the weather, we will be picking up the kids on the day after Christmas in Idaho Falls (half way from here to Salt Lake).  Can't Wait!


3 comments:

midRae said...

I am so glad that you got to spend some quality time with the kids. You deserve it. It sounds like you packed in a lot of fun in a short period of time. But that's the way to do it. I'm happy that Thanksgiving was so good to you.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like everyone had a lot of fun. I'm glad you got to spend it with Shellise and Jessie. We missed everyone down in Chester. Having only one sibling with the family, along with Mom and Dad, was a little sad. They leave tomorrow, so it will be just Jay and I doing the Christmas thing. Very Sad! Well, I hope this month brings lots of joy and happiness. We miss you!

Alicia

Amy, Mike and our Girls said...

I am so glad that you had a great time with your kids. I wish that I could have met them. Maybe next trip! I hope to see you Thursday! This time you won't get lost driving to the house. Hehehe!